- Lettuce of your choice (I recommend baby romaine or mesclun greens)
- 1 Sweet red apple (gala or fuji), sliced thin
- a few handfulls of pecan halves, toasted
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cucumber, halved and sliced
- Red onion, sliced thin (to taste - use as much or as little as you like)
- a few handfulls of raisins
Olive oil and balsamic vinegar accompany this salad well. Or make your own dressing - Mint-Shallot Vinaigrette. (recipe tbd)
Tips for variations:
- Instead of an apple, try a sweet red anjou pear.
- Swap out the pecans and replace with walnuts.
- Sub out the raisins with currants or chopped dates.
- Add some chopped fresh figs if they are in season.
- Replace the grape tomatoes with heirloom cherry tomatoes.
- If you eat some grassfed, organic dairy, add some brie or soft goat cheese.