I brought this salad to a family barbeque today and it was a big hit. I actually learned how to make it from the awesome chef at Miette Culinary Studio in New York City where I attended a group cooking class/teambuilding event with my company a few months ago. I slightly altered it to make it easier to prepare at home.
- 2 bunches of asparagus, trimmed
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed, cored, and thinly sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 large package of organic greens (e.g. mesclun, arugula, etc)
- 2 navel oranges, peeled and sliced crosswise about 1/4" thick
- 1/2 a large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 2.25oz can sliced black olives, drained
- Preheat your oven to 450F.
- Place asparagus on a large baking sheet and coat with olive oil. Sprinkle with a large pinch of salt. Roast for 10 minutes, or until soft. Remove pan from the oven and cool off to the side.
- Prepare all fruits and vegetables with a sharp knife.
- In a very large bowl, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper together. This will be your dressing.
- Add the fennel, scallions, and lettuce and toss to coat.
- Slice the roasted asparagus into 2" pieces.
- Pull your sliced oranges apart so you have triangle-shaped pieces of orange.
- Add in the asparagus, orange slices, red onion, and black olives and toss once again.